Only six months after General Electric (GE) launched a new open innovation challenge, Healthymagination, looking for breakthrough ideas on early detection and treatment of breast cancer, innovation is fueling change like never before possible.
Powered by Brightidea software, the challenge was open to the public and targeted academic institutions and thousands of researchers around the world to come together to collaborate on breakthrough innovations. Following the underlying business strategy of GE to open the company up to external ideas to fuel innovation across several business units, Healthymagination follows the success of GE's other open innovation challenge, Ecomagination, which sought breakthrough ideas to improve our energy future.
After a relatively short but thorough evaluation, the five innovations challenge award winners from the first phase have been chosen. A panel of independent judges selected these five winners from over 500 submissions. The winning teams come from The University of Akron, the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, the Moffitt Cancer Center, and two teams from Vanderbilt University, with each group receiving $100,000 from GE to help develop thier ideas. GE is not stopping there as this summer additional venture capital funding will be awarded to participants and organizations to take their innovations to market.
Based on originality, feasibility, and impact, the following are the winning ideas:
- The University of Akron: a smart and safe breast implant that combines cancer diagnosis and treatment to promote healing.
- Vanderbilt University: creating more personalized chemotherapies for Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC)
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center: creating the first breast screening programs in Uganda to help fight Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC)
- Moffitt Cancer Center: detecting patients' risk for spreading cancer after onset through genetics
- Vanderbilt University: developing MyCancerGenome, an online database helping medical professionals stay up-to-date with research and therapies.
Brightidea is proud to offer the most comprehensive software platform to fuel continuous innovation which is changing lives and solving pressing challenges. For information on Healthymagination and the winners, please click here.